Friday 21 April 2017

Evaluation- 1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products DRAFT

MUSIC VIDEO
By conducting research I learnt a lot about the conventions of music videos. I presented a brief summary of my findings in a post on my blog entitled "Conventions of  music videos". I also analysed the insanely popular music video for the song Roar by Katy Perry and I looked at what makes my favourite music video effective (Loner by Kali Uchis).
Effective features included:
  • editing to the music
  • a storyline/ narrative
  • flash cuts
  • a cohesive colour scheme
  • the artist lip-syncing (performance scenes)
  • multiple camera shots
  •  appropriate costumes
Our music video fell into the Pop/ electronic genre which is why it follows some of the genre conventions as well as general conventions of all music videos. The conventions we used within our music video include: FIND EXAMPLES FOR THESE
  • on beat editing
  • close ups on the artist
  • flash cuts
  • a clear and interesting narrative*****
  • lip-syncing scenes
We also followed some conventions that are more specific to our genre:
  • opening title- this gives the video a more cinematic feel which seems to be the recent trend in popular music videos****** GIVE EXAMPLES drake
  • Flash cut to black- this was highly effective in our video as it was done on the beat which made the music seem connected to the video instead of seeing them as two separate components.
DIGIPAK
In order to examine the conventions of a digipak, I conducted some research as well as looking at existing products I condensed my finding into a post on my blog called "Digipak Research". Not only this but I also looked at the structure of a digipak in a post I titled "Layout of a Digipak". From this I knew I needed to design:
  • a front cover
  • a back cover
  • a Digipak spine
  • 4-8 inside pages
This insured that from the start of the project that I understood that I would need take quite a few high quality images that I could throughout my product.
Some of the conventions of a successful digipak are:
  • Artist name
  • Album name
  • Track list
  • Barcode
  • Record label
  • Publisher
I also recreated the front cover of a popular digipak. From this I learnt that it might be better to have quite a simple one.


The conventions I conformed and subverted from:


A4 Advert
I did some research into digipak adverts in order to establish the conventions which I presented in a post on my blog entitled:  Investigation into magazine ads for albums.
The conventions are:
  • an image of the artist
  • necessary legal jargon
  • information about the release (date)
  • Where is it available from (Itunes, Hmv etc.)
  • Image o digipak cover
  • album and artist name
Conventions I have used:
  • Album name
  • album cover
  • convergence
  • production company
  • release date
  • artist name
  • brief information on album.


Possible Influences?
Conventions I have used

  • Album name
  • Alb 

No comments:

Post a Comment